I mean, very, very slow, like travelling an inch and a half (they call it distance) in eight hundred million years (they call it time). You’ll have to distinguish between here and there - yes, yes, we all know there’s only the here and now, but you’ll have to see it their way - with everything reduced to three dimensions. It comes with being exiled in a mortal body, you see, which is not entirely a curse, I assure you. Space is the disposable furniture of a mind enmeshed in its own metaphors, brandishing a meter stick under our immeasurable sky.
Being body positive doesn’t mean that you have to be positive 24/7. It entails learning to love the body you have. It’s a journey. You don’t always have to like your body. Part of being body positive is unlearning all of the hatred you have toward your body and that doesn’t happen over night. It’s okay to have bad days.
A petition for Jane Foster to join the Science Bros in the next Avengers.
You know, back in the old Thor comics—the ones I found in my dad’s stash of comics—there’s a period of time where Jane Foster is acting as a sort of mortal avatar or vessel for Sif, so she’s still herself, but is also fully capable of channeling her very literal inner warrior goddess to mow down her enemies single-handedly with a machine gun.
“So raise a glass to teenage girls for their linguistic innovation. It expands our expressive vocabulary, giving us new words and modes of expression. Speakers may nostalgically look to a previous golden era of English, but the truth is that Shakespeare’s English is an abomination of Chaucer’s English, which is an abomination of Beowolf’s. Language is inherently unstable. It’s in a constant state of flux, made and remade—stretched, altered, broken down and rearranged—by its speakers every day. Rather than a sign of corruption and disorder, this is language in its full vitality—a living, evolving organism.”—Gabriel Arana, “Creaky Voice: Yet Another Example of Young Women’s Linguistic Ingenuity” (via floreses)
listen I’m not saying that Scarlett Johansson’s response to Dylan Farrow’s letter was the worst one of them all, but do just wanna kind of gently/aggressively remind everyone in the midst of reblogging Winter Soldier shit that Scarlett Johansson is a rape apologist and is also starring in one of the most racist pieces of shit to come out this year, so maybe dial back your “feminist” glee about how “body positive” she is.
“but Joffrey in the books is still a 13-year-old kid. And there’s kind of a moment there where he knows that he’s dying and he can’t get a breath and he’s kind of looking at Tyrion and at his mother and at the other people in the hall with just terror and appeal in his eyes—you know, “Help me mommy, I’m dying.” And in that moment, I think even Tyrion sees a 13-year-old boy dying before him. So I didn’t want it to be entirely, “Hey-ho, the witch is dead.” I wanted the impact of the death to still strike home on to perhaps more complex feelings on the part of the audience, not necessarily just cheering.”—George R.R. Martin http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/13/george-r-r-martin-why-joffrey-killed/ (via perksofbeingalannister)
-Steve Rogers was raised by an Irish-catholic single mom in New York in the Depression era -Steve Rogers grew up with a ton of disabilities -Steve Rogers had an apartment in an incredibly gay section of New York -Steve Rogers was a fine arts student -Steve Rogers completely missed the Red Scare, McCarthyism, the Cold War, Vietnam, Korea, etc. -Steve Rogers was written by two Jewish guys -Steve Rogers had a gay best friend and did not consider his love to be any less valid or less real -Steve Rogers worked with Japanese-American and black soldiers in, again, the Second World War
-Steve Rogers was just in a movie about how utterly fucked up the military-industrial complex is Basically if your Steve Rogers is a conservative commie-hating uberChristian who would be at home in a racist southern church, you’re doing something wrong.
Maybe! Well, he certainly seems interested in sex with women so maybe he’s bi or pan or whatever, but he’s not who I am referring to. I am referring to a Mr Arnie Roth, who appeared in Captain America #270, from June 1982. Though the word ‘gay’ is never used (1980s, after all) it is very obvious from context.
Arnie: I never got married. Can you believe that? Swinging Arnie? It just never seemed like… the right thing for me.
Arnie: But for the past ten years, I’ve been… rooming (((observe! proper use of comics italics-and-bolding! It exists!))) with a guy. My— my best friend. With him along for the ride, I’ve been able to handle the hard times without going nuts.
Arnie: But something’s happened to Michael, Steve. Something bad.And I need you — I need Captain America— to help me.
Cap: Whatever it is, Arnie — you’ve gotCaptain America!
The plot of this comic after this point is, according to this, is that the Red Skull abducts and mind-controls Arnie, forcing him to say that he’s a freak who doesn’t know anything about real love. Then this happens:
Cap: Arnie — listen to me: No matter what words they force out of your mouth, you know thetruth!
Cap: You areNOT a freak!
Cap: You’re as good and decent a man as I’ve ever known!
Cap:… They can’t corrupt your love or Michael with their lies any more than they can corrupt my love for Bernie! (Bernadette Rosenthal, I think) Do you hear me, Arnie? They’re the pariahs! They’re the disease! They—
TL;DR: Steve Rogers was supporting LGBTQ equality in the 1980s.
Reminder for those who don’t know, if you have a vagina, make sure to urinate immediately after you have P-in-V sex. Bacteria can get in your urethra during P-in-V intercourse so as soon as you are done having sex, go to the bathroom go pee, even if it doesn’t feel like you need to, because even a little pee can flush out the bacteria and prevent a UTI. I didn’t know about this and I got a UTI from my first time, and it was super awful and uncomfortable and unfortunately even those with good sex education rarely learn info like this. I want everyone with a vagina to know how to prevent it because UTIs suck hard. That is all.
1. FOOD: If you want to come at me about “how much I eat”, you need to provide an exact food diary of everything I ate in the past week, (not just what it was, but how much and when). Then you also need to provide at least 36 examples of thin people eating the same amounts/foods, and write a 10 page paper on why you don’t attack them, only me, and then provide 8 medically accurate and unbiased documents proving without a SHRED of doubt that these thin people eating the same amounts/things are as healthy/healthier than me.
2. HEALTH: if you want to come at me about my health/that I’m going to die, you need to provide me with full professional doctors papers, PhD and all, as well as MY individual health records, and at least 12 UNBIASED research papers done by reputable doctors (dr. phil does not count)
3. APPEARANCE: If you want to come at me about how I look to you, I am going to need a minimum of 245 photos of you, from all angles, with/without make up/beards/whatever, and you’re going to need to explain in a 12 page paper, single space, size 8 font, what it is about YOU and YOUR LOOKS that gives you the right to judge anyone else. Remember, I said looks only. I don’t give a flying fuck if you once helped someone move to a new apartment, this isn’t about nicest personality, this is about looks as you made it clear in attacking me for it.
Finally, and this is the most important rule of all,
4. WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THESE PAPERS, PHOTOS, AND FOOD DIARIES?
I need you to follow the below diagram, before ever coming to me with any of the above
“I think Natalie Portman said something brilliant about modern-day female action heroes, about how even though they’re strong you need to also see the messiness of everyday life, that complexity. Even with Peggy Carter… Can we see her have a really shit day, put her pyjamas on and eat loads of ice cream and weep into chick flick? Can we have her be neurotic, hysterical, funny, depressed and all those things that we all relate to that aren’t regularly depicted because they’re not seen as sexy or comfortable for men to watch and masturbate over?”—
So it’s 3AM and It’s just occurred to me that the most telling scene in the entire Harry Potter franchise is the scene following the announcement of the participants of the Triwizard tournament.
When Harry’s name is pulled out of the cup, literally one of the first things he is asked is “did you ask an older boy to put your name in the cup for you?" or something to that effect, insinuating that, that was something nobody prepared for and that it was something that totally would have worked if anyone had been smart enough to figure it out.
However, in an earlier scene a student is turned into a hundred year old man when they try to artificially age themselves with a potion and put their name into the cup. Meaning someone trying to dangerously age themselves with potion they aren’t familiar with was something the teachers genuinely considered to be more likely than someone asking for fucking help from another student.
In other words, the wizards in Harry Potter’s world are so reliant on magic that it doesn’t occur to anyone save for people like Harry that asking for help is even an option in a given situation. This explains why wizards are so fucking ass-backwards at everything, they’re so confident that their magic is capable of doing everything for them that it has never occurred to fucking anyone that perhaps asking for help from the muggle world might be of some use.
Think about it, the wizarding world hasn’t changed in hundreds of years while in that same space of time the muggle world has figured out fucking space travel. I know it’s a cliché to say to say someone could have fucking shot Voldemort, but seriously, somebody totally fucking could have, he killed like 50 people, he was effectively a terrorist, if anyone in the wizarding world bothered to ask for help from the muggles instead of just telling them there was an invisible asshole flying around shooting death curses at everyone, they may have been able to help.
Pretty much the only reason Voldermort thinks he’s better than muggles is because he’s able to kill them with impunity using magic, something he’s only able to do so easily because muggles don’t understand what magic is. Voldemort is basically like a fucking disease, he’s an invisible, lurking entity preying on mankind from the shadows like a cowardly piece of shit. You know what else did that? Smallpox and we stomped that to death the second we understood it. That’s the difference between muggles and wizards, when muggles don’t understand something, they figure it out.
And here’s the kicker, the only reason muggles don’t understand magic at all is because the wizarding world deliberately withholds information about it. However, even if the wizarding world kept doing that, it’d only be a matter of time until a muggle figured out what magic was and how to stop or harness it because that’s what humanity does, it pushes past what we think is impossible to see what’s on the other side. We didn’t understand the sun as a species originally and now we use it to power satellites and smartphones.
The wizarding world isn’t a realm of infinite possibilities, it’s a universe of strict limitations where boundaries are never questioned. The muggle world is where the real magic happens. That’s why during the course of the Harry Potter books, which are set between 1991 and 1998, the muggle world (our world) discovered dark matter, cloned a sheep and invented fucking MP3s while the wizarding world were literally paying some dipshit to figure out what the purpose of a rubber duck was.
Wow, I really shouldn’t think about this stuff when it’s like 3AM, it gets kind of dark.
Sansa is literally the worst character on Game of Thrones. The only reason she even wanted to marry Joffrey is because he was good looking and a Prince, which is just shallow. After she marries Tyrion she doesn't want to sleep with him because his physical appearance disgusts her, another shallow act. I literally do not understand why people like her character. Just because she can put up with abuse and horrible people doesn't overwrite all the horrible, selfish things she's done.
oh my, my first angry anon about a game of thrones, how exciting.
- sansa was raised her entire life to be a proper lady - to be a queen. i get that it’s ~easier~ to like characters like arya and brienne that go against gender norms, but women like that aren’t common in westeros, and they don’t last very long. getting married and having children are what women are expected to do. like god i don’t get why people shit on sansa for wanting to be a queen when that’s literally what she was raised for. and how was sansa supposed to know how terrible joffrey really was? it’s not as simple as sansa speaking out against him when he does something bad, like even ned says sansa has to take joffrey’s side “even when he’s wrong”. ALSO the fact that joffrey is attractive and charming and sansa has been raised with stories of gallant princes AND SHE’S 12…gosh i wonder why she fell so quickly for him
- sansa doesn’t want to have sex with tyrion because she’s a 12 year old child that was just sold into a marriage she didn’t consent to - to a man twice her age that’s currently at war with her family. tyrion’s appearance had nothing to do with it, on her wedding night:
“Look at him, Sansa told herself, look at your husband, at all of him, Septa Mordan said all men are beautiful, find his beauty, try.”
- lol she ‘puts up with abuse’. her first chapter in a clash of kings opens with her having to wear a gown with long sleeves to hide the bruises on her arms because joffrey sent his knights to beat her after robb is proclaimed king in the north. she’s stripped naked in front of joffrey’s court and beaten with a sword until she ‘loses count of the blows’. she repeatedly has to deal with her family members deaths being rubbed in her face and before her marriage to tyrion, she’s frequently reminded of how she could be killed at any second because of what her family does
like i literally do not understand how people don’t like sansa